Sunday, March 28, 2010

Brown Rice and Eggs (Cosmo Hippie Chef Alert!)


So this yummy warm earthy dish could probably be found in many different places, though I'm sure we would all interrupt it our own unique way. I first had this dish in Playa del Carmen, Mexico on the same trip I found Chiliquiles. My first thought was Brown Rice and Eggs? What could be special about that it's so simple? My next thought was it's a complex carbohydrate (the brown rice) and a healthy protein (the eggs) and will probably sustain me for a good part of the day, even if all I was doing that day was laying in the sun (which I was). So I ordered it and who knew something so simple would be so good. I even went back another morning for the same dish, the second time I asked for some sliced tomato's for a fresh element and DELISH again. Now when I make Chiliquiles I save some of the tomato sauce so I can use it in this dish, we actually had it for breakfast this morning. Enjoy

-Brown Rice and Eggs- Serves 2-4

1 c. brown rice or more depending on the amount of hungry mouths, (I recently have been using wild rice I think it's fun to switch it up)
2 eggs per person
Earth Balance Butter, or Olive Oil
leftover Chiliquiles sauce
salt and pepper

* sometimes I saute up some Kale and add it as well (I'm always finding places to add veggies)

**optional: Tofutti Sour Cream, avocado, extra hot sauce

1. Cook rice according to directions, (most times I make the rice a day ahead if I know I'm going to make this dish, it just saves time if making it for breakfast.)
2. Warm up leftover Chiliquiles sauce, (P.S. you could totally make the Chiliquiles sauce just for this recipe.)
3. In a saute pan saute the rice with a little butter or oil just until warmed through (if using already cooked rice). I like a little crunch or crispness to the rice. Salt and pepper the rice just a bit, cook for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Scoop the warm sauce into the bottom of the bowl and top with the sauteed rice. Set aside while you cook the eggs.
5. Add a little more butter or oil to the saute pan you used for the rice. Crack the eggs into the pan, I cook mine over easy but you could certainly scramble them if you'd prefer. Top the rice and sauce with the cooked eggs. (Be sure and salt and pepper the eggs while they cook.)
6. Top with any optional ingredients you would like.


No comments:

Post a Comment