Saturday, October 29, 2011

Aunt Jo's Homemade Kahlua (by CM Herold, eHow Member)


I first have to mention where I got this recipe before I get on with it, last year I was looking for something to make for Christmas gifts. My sweet grandma Little Polly was in the hospital and between being with her and my family I was at work, so I needed something I could make for gifts when I had some time at home. I did a search for homemade Kahlua and this is what I found and even though I don't know Aunt Jo I was so thankful for this recipe, it made my gift giving easy when my life was so hard. Thanks Aunt Jo where ever you are- Cheers! I just got done making two batches of this for the upcoming holidays (it take 10 weeks to cure), I'm getting a head start this year. Enjoy!

Ingredients: 

10 tsp. instant coffee
3 c. sugar (this time I used organic powdered sugar, it's the only sugar I had in the house)
3 c. water
3 tsp. vanilla
1 quart vodka

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan combine the instant coffee, sugar, and water, whisk together. Simmer, make sure the mixture does not boil. Simmer on low for two hours. Let cool.
2. In a mixing bowl combine (whisk) the vodka and vanilla. When the coffee sugar water mixture is cool add it to the vodka and vanilla. Stir or whisk to combine.
3. Pour into bottles, let age for 10 weeks before gifting.

- We like Kahlua in our coffee during the holidays, it's also good over ice with a little milk with dessert. Another great way to enjoy Kahlua is with Homemade Vegan Eggnog (recipe is on the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment