Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Soup



So know one wants to talk about the stomach flu or food poisoning but I'm suffering from one of them. I think last night was the first time I had eatin since Monday morning and I went for my cure all soup. I make this soup at least once a week, I make it when it's cold outside, I make it when I have had way to much fun the night before and I most certainly make it when I'm not feeling well. I also call this soup Ramen Soup for Adults, which I made on Channel 2's cooking segment "Monday Mom's". It just makes me feel good on the inside, it's easy and you can add whatever you have in the kitchen. It's a grown up version of Top Ramen and it's good for the whole family. Enjoy!

P.S. I'm going to give you the broth recipe which always stays the same and can be doubled over and over to feed everyone, and then I'll share some things you can add to it to fit your needs and desires.

-Ramen Soup- makes 1 generous serving or 2 moderate servings

2 c. veggie broth
1-2 c. water
2 large garlic cloves, cut in half
1 inch ginger, peeled and cut in half
2 T. liquid amino's
2 T. mirin
1- 2 tsp. sesame oil
2, 1 inch pieces kombu (sea vegetable, so good for you)
2 tsp. miso paste (dissolved with some warm broth and added to the soup at the very end)
fresh lemon or fresh lime juice

-optional-

sesame seeds
hot rooster sauce
edamame
quinoa (pre-cooked according to directions)
sauted crimini or baby shitake mushrooms
carrots, broccoli, bell peppers
diced avocado
noodles of course (I like somen noodles) you could also use tofu noodles or soba noodles

1. Start with a medium soup pot over medium heat add the vegetable broth, water, garlic, ginger, and kombu (if using carrots, mushrooms and bell peppers, saute them in the pot first to soften them then remove and reserve to add later). Bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. When the twenty minutes is up fish out the garlic, smash the garlic and add it back to the soup. Add the cooked veggies if using them, also this is a good time to add the edamame. Also add the liquid amino's and mirin and simmer another 10 minutes. Before serving remove the ginger and kombu. This is where you would add the dissolve miso paste into the soup, make sure the heat on the oven is turned off. The heat kills all the good stuff in miso.
3. Garnish the soup with sesame oil and fresh lemon or lime juice. Oh and of course some hot sauce, I like this soup spicy. (if your having stomach issues, omit the hot sauce)

Tip: If using noodles I cook them separate and put to the side. When I'm ready to serve I divide the noodles between the serving bowls and top with warm broth filled with veggies. Lately I've been using quinoa instead of noodles and I've been adding diced avocado. Make it your own, have fun.

Kombu benefits: Increases digestibility, reduces blood cholesterol and hypertension. Kombu is high in iodine, calcium and potassium as well as vitamin A and C. (Next time you make a pot of beans, chili or lentil soup add a piece of kombu for these added benefits.)
Miso: Is high in B12 and protein and rich in vitamins and minerals. Some experts suggest miso is a good source of Lactobacillus acidophilus (good for healthy gut).






No comments:

Post a Comment