Sunday, October 18, 2009

Food Dillema- Mousse au Chocolat


Okay, Okay I know this will sound funny but I'm kind of sick of food. What? I know it sounds weird but really now that the farmers market is over I have to rethink our menus for the season to come. I've relied on the farmer's market to dictate what we eat all summer. Now what? And on top of it I'm sick of our usual standbys, our protein shake, my green drink, breakfast burritos, the yummy hot cereal (shh don't tell Billy, he loves making this for us on the weekend) what's a foodie/nutritionist to do? And on top of that I've have had a weird sweet tooth lately which on a normal basis only happens once a month, if you catch my drift. So I'll share the treats I've been working on for the last two weeks and I hope you find one you like, and hopefully I'll get back on track in the healthy food department.

This first recipe comes from that great cookbook Sweet Basil, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Chives (Shaw 1992). I found this cookbook on my awesome road trip with Billy in Manzanita, Oregon.

-Mousse au Chocolat

6 ounces chocolate, chopped into bits ( I used 3oz dark chocolate with deep forest mint, and 3oz smooth milk chocolate, yummy!)
1/4 c. brewed espresso or strong black coffee
4 eggs, seperated
1 T. unsalted butter
1/2 t. vanilla extract
3 T. sugar

1. Heat together the chocolate and coffee in a medium saucepan, (I used a vintage double boiler that my mom gave me just to insure I didn't burn the mixture). Stir until the mixture has melted. Simmer gently until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Stir to blend well. Beat in the butter and vanilla. Set aside until tepid.

2. In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites to form stiff peaks. Sprinkle in the sugar and whip another 30 seconds until the egg whites are glossy. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate. Pour into 4 individual ramekins or wineglasses. Chill for at least 4 hours. Makes 4 servings, Enjoy!

We loved this recipe, I would suggest sharing one with you sweetie, they are very rich.
P.S. use the best chocolate you can find the higher the cocoa content the better for you, REAL chocolate is high in antioxidants.

No comments:

Post a Comment