Monday, January 17, 2011

DIY Recipe- Homemade Pizza Sauce


We love making homemade pizza at our house, especially in the summer out on the grill. So now that it's cold and miserable outside we had to come up with a plan B. Lucky for me Big Mike (my mom's fiance) gave us a pizza stone, so decided to try it out Saturday night. I had the pizza dough, mushrooms, kale, cheese, vegan sausage, but no sauce. Here's what I came up with. P.S. I joke that if my husband approves it must be good, he's very picky about his sauce.

Good luck and Enjoy!

-Pizza Sauce-
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. pureed tomatoes (I used my canned tomatoes, and strained them through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds)
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 tsp oregano, basil, sugar
salt and pepper

1. Start by sauteing the onion and garlic in olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Saute until the onions are soft. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Add all the other ingredients and simmer the sauce until it thickens, maybe 20 minutes. Taste the sauce to see if you need to add more salt and pepper.

3. Use on your next homemade pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment