Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lunch for the week... Tabbouleh

I am so glad I found some time to catch you up with this wonderful light and refreshing dish. Every week I crave something different and it seems to me that this weeks recipes are about simple fresh flavors. Also I was wanting meals that make us feel refreshed like my 'green drink'. I had a crazy month and my husband just got back from a boys weekend in Vegas! That's right Vegas need I say more?! This has made a great lunch for us, you could make it for a side dish with chicken or fish or take to to a party with some pita.
I got this recipe from one of my favorite cooking show ladies, The Barefoot Contessa. She makes this all in a big bowl, refrigerates it and then stuffs pitas with the mixture and adds a slice of feta. I on the other hand layer the ingredients in our lunch containers starting with the feta, then the tabbouleh, I add brocco sprouts (not in the recipe), then the cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes. It a fresh party in your mouth, Enjoy!

-Tabbouleh-

1 c. bulgar wheat (I get it the bulk section)
1 1/4 c. boiling water
1/4 c. lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 c. olive oil
kosher salt
1/2- 1 c. scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch), I used the ones in my garden!
1/2 c. chopped mint (fresh)
1/2 c. flat leaf parsley, chopped (fresh)
1 cucumber, seeded and medium diced, I use 6 little ones for our lunches.
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 t. freshly ground pepper
3/4 lb. feta cheese (I got mine from the farmers market)
pita (if making sandwiches)

1. Place the bulgar in a large bowl, pour in the the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, olive oil and 1/2 t. salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature about an hour.
2. Add scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 t. salt and the pepper, mix well. Season to taste and serve, or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve went the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.
3. If making lunches refer to above blog, if making for side dish add feta and serve. If making sandwiches stuff the tabbouleh and feta into the pita breads. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment