Monday, April 19, 2010

DIY Recipe- Almond Milk


Almond Milk

I love this almond milk, this recipe was shared with me by my friend Gwen. This is another one of those items I was happy to remove from my grocery list because I can Do It Myself! I buy the almond and dates for this recipe in bulk section of my store, so it saves me money and I have better quality control when it comes to the ingredients. I probably make two jars a week but here's the only disclaimer, this milk goes bad in about 4 days. If you can commit to using this homemade almond milk you won't be sorry, it's delicious and fun. I say fun because it will be a totally new experience for your taste buds and your insides will rejoice to have some thing so fresh and natural. I use this milk in our breakfast shakes and in my raw cereal. I hope you'll try it,Enjoy.

-Almond Milk-

1/2 c. raw organic almonds (soaked overnight in water, enough to cover an inch above the almonds)
2 tsp. raw agave nectar, pure vanilla extract
4 c. water
1/2 c. pitted dates
pinch of salt

1. After the almonds have soaked overnight, drain and rinse them under fresh water. Place in the blender with the rest of the ingredients.
2. Blend until all the almonds and dates are blended well. Pour the milk into a bowl and let sit 30 min to an 1 hour. (This let's the milk absorb all the goodness before you strain it.)
3. Strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer into a new bowl, take a spatula and press as much of the liquids from the solids through the strainer. Discard the solids, stir the milk and pour into a mason jar with a lid. Place in the refrigerator until chilled through. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment