Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pumpkin Corn Bread


So if you are an avid cook like myself you probably have a hard time throwing away food. I'm always looking for creative ways to use up extra ingredients, that is how this recipe came to be. I had leftover pureed carrots and yams from the Mac and Cheese and remembered that I had pulled this recipe out of the November issue of Better Homes and Gardens while waiting for an oil change on our Prius one Friday afternoon with Billy. I was hoping to make it for Thanksgiving to go in my stuffing recipe but it never happened. But I had to use up the rest of those purees and thought about this recipe, and you'll never guess what I did with the corn bread... I used it to make corn bread croutons for Black Bean Soup! I'll give you the recipe the way it's written and then off to the side tell you what I used, mine is actually vegan. Enjoy.

-Pumpkin Corn Bread-

6 T. butter (I used Earth Balance Butter)
2 c. cornmeal (I used Bob's Red Mill Coarse Cornmeal, I like the texture)
1/3 sugar (I used Agave Nectar)
2 T. masa harina or corn flour (I used whole wheat flour, it's just what I had)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pumpkin spice
1 c. buttermilk (I used soymilk)
1 8-oz carton sour cream (I used 1/2 c. Tofutti Sour Cream)
1 egg lightly beaten (I used egg replacer)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (I used a mixture of the leftover carrot and sweet potato/yam puree)

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Generously brush a 12 inch cast iron skillet with 2 T. butter (I used my bread pan put you could also just use a square pan) they also suggest using 22 muffin tin cups. But if using the muffin tins only cook 8-10 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine cornmeal, sugar, masa harina, baking powder and soda, salt and pumpkin spice. In another bowl combine remaining butter, buttermilk, sour cream, egg and pumpkin; whisk into cornmeal mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean, cook on wire rack. Serve warm with whipped butter. (Or make croutons like me )

No comments:

Post a Comment