Friday, March 25, 2011

Quinoa- For Breakfast (Cosmo Hippie Chef Alert!)


For the last two weeks I have been doing a spring cleaning menu for Billy and I. Since we are trying to transition seasons I wanted to switch up our eating to get us out with the old and in with the new. We usually start our day with a pretty rich antioxidant protein shake and raw cereal, but the new menu has been raw juice (green apples, lemon, ginger, celery) and Quinoa Cereal. It always takes Billy just a few days to get used to something new, but now he loves this recipe. I think it will be our weekly morning cereal for spring and summer, and the cool thing is I will just switch the fruit for whatever is in season. Enjoy!


-Quinoa Cereal- I make a big batch of Quinoa (1c. soaked overnight in water and then cooked) and portion it out for the week, this is a individual serving.

1/2 cooked quinoa (I soak mine overnight, drain and cook. The ratio is 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa, but I go just a little less on the water since it has been soaking overnight.)
1/4 c. fresh organic blueberries
1/4 c. fresh pineapple, chopped
1 tsp. raw pumpkin seeds
1 T. walnuts, chopped
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg (freshly grated)
drizzle of agave or honey
*optional: 1/2 c. organic goat or Greek yogurt (this is how Billy likes it)

1. Scoop the quinoa into a bowl or container and put all the other ingredients on the top, it's ready to eat.
2. I mentioned that I portion this all out for the week, when I do this it's just the cooked quinoa and the cinnamon and nutmeg. Then every morning I take two containers out of the fridge and top it with the other ingredients.
Quinoa- Is highly appreciated for it nutritional value, and it's protein content is very high. Quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods. It is a great source of dietary fiber, phosphorous and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long duration manned spaceflights! (How cool is that?!)
*I obtained this info form Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment