Monday, April 4, 2011
Roasted Fennel Tomato Soup
-Roasted Fennel Tomato Soup-
1 large onion, skin removed, cut in half and both halves quartered (total of eight pieces)
1 large fennel bulb, leafy top removed (cut off), cut in half and quarter both halves
4 large garlic cloves, skin removed
2 carrots, chopped
7-8 c. pureed tomatoes, (I used 2 16oz jars of my canned tomatoes)
2 c. vegetable stock (I used homemade)
1tsp. coconut oil (for sauteing the carrots), you can use whatever oil you have
2 tsp. grape seed oil (to drizzle over the vegetables before roasting) whatever oil you have
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the chopped onion, fennel, and garlic on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, drizzle with oil and season with a little salt and pepper. When oven is ready place the vegetables in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, turn the vegetables over once during that time.
2. When vegetables are done pull out of oven and set to the side.
3. In a large pot or dutch oven heat the coconut oil over medium heat, when melted add the carrots and saute until a little browned on both sides. Add the roasted vegetables and toss around for just a minute.
4. Add the tomato puree, veggie stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes with the lid askew. After those 30 minutes, puree the soup using a hand held blender or you can use your tradtional blender.
5. Taste for salt and pepper, and sevre hot.