Friday, April 1, 2011

Warm Bulgar Soup- Thanks to my Whole Foods App


Yummy! I made this soup at the beginning of the week and it was super easy and super delish! The blueprint for this recipe came from my Whole Foods App on my phone, I did add a few things of my own of course. Now listen it has been beautiful here (SLC) yesterday, today and hopefully tomorrow but then Sunday more rain and chilly. No big deal make a pot of this soup and some tuna sandwiches and it will be a great day. I think when I make this soup again on Sunday I am going to use Quinoa instead of the Bulgar. I'll be sure to update y'all on which one is better. Good luck and Enjoy!

-Warm Bulgar Soup-

2 tsp. Coconut Oil (this is what I saute with)
1 carrot, diced
1/2 c. leafy celery, diced
1/2 purple onion, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 jar tomatoes (I used my own canned tomatoes), or 14oz can
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. Bulgar (I get mine in the bulk section at Whole Foods), this is also what you use for tabbouleh
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1 T. fresh thyme, chopped
1 lemon, juiced and zest
3 c. chicken stock (I used my homemade stock)
2 c. vegetable stock (I used my homemade stock)
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil and Parmesan Cheese, for garnish

1. In a large pot or dutch oven warm the coconut oil over medium heat, when it starts to sizzle just a bit add the onions and start to saute. After about 2 min add the carrots, cook for another 2 min then add the celery and garlic and saute all together for about 5 min. Salt and pepper lightly.
2. Next add the coriander and cinnamon and stir around to coat all the vegetables. When the spices start to stick to the bottom of the pot add the tomatoes and make sure to scrape the spices off the bottom of the pot. Next add the chicken and veggie stock (side note: you can use all chicken stock or all veggie stock, whatever you have) and bring the mixture to a boil. Salt and pepper lightly.
3. Add the Bulgar, turn stove to a simmer and cook with the lid on for about 10 min, check to see if the Bulgar is softened if not cook another 5 min. Taste the broth for salt and pepper, add more if needed.
4. Remove lid and add the fresh herbs, juice and zest of lemon and stir to combine. Turn the heat off and get ready to serve.
5. Ladle the warm soup into individuals bowls and drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top, VIOLA! Mangie, Mangie! (that means EAT, EAT in Italian)

No comments:

Post a Comment