Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brushetta- Summer Fave

This wonderful, easy recipe is actually my creation, but I have to say that it is a hybrid of a recipe from the cookbook 'Small Plates, Appetizers as Meals' by Marguerite Marceau Henderson (who is actually a SL local). No matter who I make this recipe for they always end up loving it. I have made it with roasted peppers in place of the tomatoes and I've also tried it with fresh and roasted tomatoes, just this last July 4 I added artichokes to the mix. So whatever your preference I'm sure it will be amazing. Enjoy!


-Bruschetta- (measurements are exact but pretty close)

2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 shallots or a small onion, diced
1-2 T. capers, liquid drained
1/2 olives, chopped (I think I used a kalamata olive mix)
1/2 c. basil, chopped
8 Roma tomatoes, chopped (I have roasted the tomatoes to add more flavor, in the above pic I used roasted tomatoes in olive oil from Tony Caputo's)
8 oz artichokes in olive oil, chopped (I got my at Caputo's but you can totally used canned)
1 t. salt (I like Celtic gray salt)
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1/3 c. olive oil

1. Place the first 7 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. (A little trick I do is put pour the balsamic in first and then slowly whisk in the olive oil. I think it mixes better that way.)
3. Pour the wet mixture over all the other ingredients and mix well.
4. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour. Serve.

Can be served with:

Sliced baguette (I love Crumb Brothers, or Volkers)
Over grilled fish or chicken
Or made into a sandwich w/ fresh sliced Mozzarella (when I do this I use the roasted bell peppers in place of the tomatoes)

No comments:

Post a Comment