Monday, November 8, 2010

Gingerbread Waffles...Yum-O

I have this box labeled 'Random and Important' and in this box contains recipes I love, don't want to loose and that remind me of the past. I know most of these recipes by the paper, recipe card, or old envelope they are written on, so is the case with this recipe for gingerbread waffles. It's a small blue piece of lined paper, no instructions and just the ingredients. Funny.

This make me shake my head, and laugh out loud recipe has been in my recipe box for a long time. I have this reaction to this recipe because they remind me our old apartment that we lived in before we bought our house. And about the over the top way we like to eat these waffles (I'll explain later). They are warm, smell like home, and taste like fall. Topped with banana's, nuts and a drizzle of warm agave or real maple syrup they are a fun way to mix up what's for brunch on Sunday.

-Gingerbread Waffles- Makes 12 waffles (can be cut in half, that's what I do)

3c. flour (I used 3/4c. whole wheat pastry flour, 3/4c. buttermilk waffle mix, 1/2c. wheat germ,1c. cornmeal. I had to get creative okay?!)
4 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
4 lrg. eggs
1 c. pumpkin puree (I use fresh pumpkin I roasted myself, I had some left over from a pumpkin pie I made the day before. This was a great way to use up the leftovers)
1 1/4 c. milk (I used coconut milk, NOT CANNED)
1/2 c. molasses
butter, or oil of choice (I use earth balance butter, but it just came to me to try coconut oil next time. Great idea!)

1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. (I like to sift my dry ingredients)
2. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl.
3. Slowly add the dry to the wet a little at a time whisking all the ingredients together as you go. 4. Heat your waffle iron and add a LITTLE butter or oil to the iron. Using a 1/3c. measuring cup ladle the mixture onto the iron, close and let cook until done. Continue with the rest of the batter until gone. Place the cooked waffles in a 200 degree oven to keep warm until you are ready to eat.

-Regular Toppings-
Banana's, Nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans), warm Agave or real Maple Syrup

-Naughty Toppings-
Parmigiana Regiano Cheese (Parmesan cheese), Crispy Prosciutto (crisp up in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 min turning once while cooking), Banana's, Nuts, and Agave or Real Maple Syrup. ALL of these go on one waffle, that's what makes it naughty. I know what your thinking, that all these ingredients together is crazy! But I'll tell you what it's a flavor extravaganza for your taste buds. Just try it. ENJOY!

P.S. I think this is a Rachael Ray recipe, hence the Yum-o in the heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment