Legumes offer a huge bang for your bite. Their benefits make them a highly sought after non animal source of protein as well as an excellent source of complex carbohydrates and fiber.
- A few benefits -
1. They are a rich source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. The high fiber content helps prevent blood sugar levels from rising to rapidly after a meal, making them an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance, or hypoglycemia.
2. They have a significant amount of antioxidants, folic acid, vitamin B6, and magnesium.
3. Red kidney beans are rated the highest, just ahead of blueberries.
4. Beans are also protective against cancer. Researchers found that beans significantly reduced frequency of breast cancer in the woman who had a higher intake of common beans or lentils. Eating beans or lentils two or more times per week was associated with a 24 percent reduced risk of breast cancer according to a study by the Nurses' Health Study II.
- How to eat-
1. Make a three bean salad
2. Make into a dip for veggies
3. Make bean and rice burritos like me!
4. Add to soups and salads