Monday, November 15, 2010

What's for Lunch? Lentil Stew


When it comes to making lunch I start by taking inventory of my kitchen. I always have lentils in my pantry as well as most the vegetables that are in this soup, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and potatoes. I also try to find a recipe that can be made in a big batch and can be portioned out for the entire week, this Lentil Stew is perfect! One thing I love about the fall and winter is being able to make big pots of soup, remember to make extra and freeze it for later. This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks 'The Kind Diet' by Alicia Silverstone.
-Lentil Stew- Makes 6 servings
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. dried basil
2 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 lrg onions, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 potato, cut into chunks
1/4 c. shoyu (soy sauce, I used liquid amino's)
5 c. vegetable broth (I used my own homemade broth)
3 tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
1 1/2 c. brown lentils
1. Combine the garlic powder, paprika, salt, cumin, oregano, and basil in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a large soup pot (you'll be adding a lot of liquid later, so make sure it's a big pot) over medium heat, and add garlic, onion, celery, carrot, and potato. Stir in half the spice mixture and the shoyu. Cook, stirring frequently for 7-10 minutes or until the onions are tender.
2. Add 5 cups of water (I only added 2 c), the broth, tomatoes and lentils. (I soaked my lentils overnight, drain and then add to soup) Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid askew for 30 minutes. Add the remaining spice mixture, and cook for 20 minutes longer or until the lentils are soft. Serve warm or portion out into containers for lunch. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment