Monday, November 8, 2010

Pinto Beans- Cosmo Hippie Chef Alert!

I wanted to make something yummy and fun on Saturday for the U of U vs. TCU game, it was a beautiful fall day and I had the time to put in the extra effort it takes to make homemade beans. I have been trying hard to make homemade beans a habit in my kitchen. It takes a little extra planning but the bonus is bulk beans are cheaper than the canned ones, and when you make your own there is always extra so you can freeze them for later use, AWESOME.
Well, my efforts were a huge success my husband and his buddy Charlie loved them, we made bean and wild rice burritos for the game. A few toppings like guacamole, greens, tomato's, onions, sour cream and salsa and you have the best Mexican in town! And now we have extras for another dinner this week. I hope you'll try them.

-Refried Pinto Beans with Chiles- Serves 6 (This recipe comes from of my favorite cookbooks 'Clean Food' by Terry Walters)

3 garlic cloves
1 onion, diced
2 T. grapeseed oil
4 c. cooked pinto beans
2- 4oz cans chopped green chiles (I only used one)
1 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. sea salt
2 T. lime juice

1. In a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute garlic and onion in oil until soft (about 3 min). Add beans and remaining ingredients and saute another 3-4 min. With the back of the spoon smash the beans to your desired consistency. Remove from heat and serve.
* okay little side note: I made my pinto beans fresh before I made this recipe so I reserved 1c. of the bean cooking liquid. I added this and 1/2c. water to the beans along with 2 T. olive oil and use my hand held blender and blended until smooth. I like my beans more on the creamy side.

- Legumes, Beans - Basic Cooking Instructions
1 c. dried beans of choice (yields 2 1/4c. cooked beans)
water
Thumb-size piece kombu (Sea vegetable that is used to infuse foods with highly alkalizing minerals, iodine and iron. Also known for it's ability to tenderize legumes and reduce their gaseous properties.)
Pinch of salt

1. Sort through dry legumes and remove any dirt chunks and pebbles.
2. Place legumes in pot with 3 c. water and soak overnight.
3. Drain, rinse, and return to pot with 3 c. fresh water.
4. Cover pot, bring to boil, skim off foam and reduce heat and simmer. Add kombu and salt.
5. Cover and cook until beans are tender (anywhere from 50 min- just over an hour). Test by removing a bean and squeeze between fingers.
6. Drain remaining liquid and store cooked legumes in a airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment