For the lentils:
2 c. lentils soaked in water overnight
1. Drain and rinse the lentils, place in a large pot and add 3 c. of water for every cup of lentils. (6c. total).
2. Bring to a boil, add a pinch of salt (and a piece of Kombu-optional), skim the foam of the top of the lentils. Place a lid on the pot turn down the heat to medium or medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes take lid of pot and pull out a few of the lentils and smash between your fingers, if they mash easily they are ready. If not cook a little longer.
4. Drain the lentils into a colander in the sink, and gently rinse the lentils under cold water. Set aside while you chop the rest of the ingredients.
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced- use raw
1/2 c. - 3/4 c. diced celery
1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
fresh parsley, as much as you like
fresh basil, same as above
salt and pepper
1. Scoop the lentils from the colander to a big bowl, add all the mix-ins and toss lightly. Mix well. Taste for salt and pepper- add more if needed.
2. Divide into containers for lunches.
Dressing- I put this in it's own container on the side for each serving
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. favorite dressing of choice (I used leftover House Dressing from Tony Caputo's)