Isn't this a pretty little chicken.
The aroma in our house when this chicken came out of the oven was incredible.
I roasted this chicken to make salads with for our lunches, but we had to make a quick sandwich and enjoy some of this delectable little bird. Volker's Cottage Cheese Dill Bread, mayo and mustard, fresh greens from the market and Perfect Roast Chicken.
-Perfect Roast Chicken-
3 1/2lb fresh organic, locally raised chicken
carrots (I had 3 hanging out in the fridge)
celery (about 8 stalks cut in half)
1/2 onion, cut into 4 pieces
3 garlic cloves
half a lemon, cut in half
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (Make sure that your chicken has had some time outside the fridge and is about room temp before putting in the oven).
2. I rinsed and dried (with paper towel) the chicken. In a roasting pan place the carrots and celery on the bottom of the pan, also 2 pieces of the onion.
3. Place the chicken on the top of the vegetables. Place the other two pieces of the onion, garlic and lemon in the cavity of the bird. Pour about 3/4c. water into the bottom of the pan. (I think this helps the bird stay moist and not dry out)
4. Drizzle the outside of the little chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Place the chicken in the oven and roast for 1 hour 25 minutes. I used a meat thermometer to make sure the meat reached 165 degrees. Let the chicken rest for about 20 minutes before starting to carve.
-This weeks salad for lunch- I made 8 servings
Perfect Roast Chicken
Fresh Salad Greens from the farmers market
Fresh Asparagus from the farmers market