-Rhubarb Coffee Cake-
1 1/4 c. brown sugar (I used 3/4 c. agave)
1/2 c. butter (I used Earth Balance butter, that's just what I had in the fridge)
1 tsp- 1 T. vanilla (I used 1 tsp.)
2 c. flour (I used organic whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
2-3 c. rhubarb (I used 2 c.) outer layer peeled and diced
*optional 1/2 c.- 1 c. nuts (I used 1/2 c. sliced almonds)
1/2 c. sugar (I used organic sugar cane)
2 tsp. Cinnamon
Preheat oven 375 degrees
1. Cream together butter and brown sugar (or agave). Beat in egg and vanilla.
2. Mix dry ingredients, flour, salt, and baking soda. Add half of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix to combine. Next, add all of the buttermilk and mix to combine. Add remaining dry ingredients, stir in and mix completely.
3. Stir in rhubarb and nuts (if using).
4. Butter a 13x9 baking dish and pour the batter into the buttered dish. Mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl and spoon over the prepared batter.
5. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool a bit before cutting into it.