Friday, June 10, 2011

White Bean and Sage Pita Burgers- Cooking Light, June 2011

Sometimes I'm at a loss for ideas on what to make for meals, so occasionally I have to pick up one of my favorite magazines like Cooking Light for divine intervention. I saw these veggies sandwiches and thought they would be right up mine and Billy's alley, let me just say they were a hit. Enjoy!
 I used my biscuit cutter to help me mold the patties, this mixture is very sticky and soft.
 I had to also enlist my 1/4 c. measure and spatula to get the job done. A little harder than I was anticipating, but the final product was worth the work.
 MMM... the yummy yogurt sauce, local goat yogurt and local goat feta.
 Fresh herbs from my garden that I used in the sauce, mint, green and purple basil and a little rosemary.
 No caption needed for these last two photos, my hope is that they speak for themselves.
- White Bean and Sage Pita Burgers-

Olive Oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
1/3 c. raw rolled oats
1/3 c. sliced almonds, toasted
2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 t. fresh chopped sage (I used more)
2 t. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper
2 (15oz) cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c. reduced-fat sour cream (I used Drake Family Goat yogurt)
2 T. grated fresh onion (I also used some scallions I had hanging around)
2 T. crumbled feta (I use local feta, crumbled it myself)
Pita
Mixed Greens
Tomato (I also sliced more onion, and cucumber and olives would be great on this-next time!)

1. Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat, when ready add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for just a few minutes until the onion begins to soften. Place mixture in the food processor. Add oats and next 8 ingredients (through egg) process until smooth.

2. Wipe pan with a paper towel. Return pan to medium heat, add oil to pan and swirl to coat. Working with one portion at a time, spoon bean mixture into 1/2 c. dry measuring cup and carefully remove bean mixture with a rubber spatula onto pan. Bean mixture is very soft and sticky, use the spatula to shape mixture into 3/4 inch thick round patty. (As you can see from my photo's I formed all the patties out before hand and I put them in the fridge to set up for a few hours. I just happened to make mine early in the day so they would be ready when I got home late last night.) Cook 8 minutes or until golden turning after 4 minutes. Repeat until all the patties are cooked. (My mix made 8 patties)

3. Combine sour cream (or yogurt), grated onion, and feta in a bowl, (fresh herbs if you have them). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4. Using the sauce, pita, greens, tomatoes, (cucumber and olives if you have them) build your sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment