Monday, June 27, 2011

Mexican Made Easy - Enchilada Sauce

It's important for me to push my limits in the kitchen. Last year that was making my own beans instead buying canned ones, and not to toot my own horn but I LOVE my Homemade Pinto Beans (recipe is on the blog). For this batch of beans I also attempted to make my own enchilada sauce to drench our burritos in, it turned out delicious. I think it was do to the leftover juice from my Perfect Roast Chicken.
 The beans boiling away w/ onion (from the farmer's market), fresh garlic (from the farmer's market), a little jalapeno and a piece of kombu.
 Yummy enchilada sauce: Saute garlic and onions in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then maybe 2tsp. each of cumin and chili powder, next a add a heaping tablespoon of flour and stir around for about a minute. Next pour in about 1 c. chicken stock (you could use veggie stock as well) and scrape off any bits of the bottom, when it starts to thicken add a large can of tomatoes, pureed (I used my last jar of canned tomatoes, pureed). Stir everything together and simmer for a bit.
The finished dish! We used Rico's Whole Wheat Tortilla's, filled with Homemade Pinto Beans (recipe on the blog) and Beehive Promontory Cheese, topped w/ homemade enchilada sauce, smashed avocado and DIY Tofu Sour Cream (recipe on the blog), w/ a side of fresh greens (from the farmer's market) and a Wyomatoes tomato. YUM-MY!

No comments:

Post a Comment